Sunday 11 October 2009

Writing about Women in Science

I'm pretty proud of two long bits of writing I've just done. I promised (whether you wanted me or not) to point you to an article as soon as it came out: here it is, at Pulse-Project again, whose documentary I hope will soon be out - we just have one more difficult thing to arrange!

The other is a rather long article, about Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin again - when I wrote about her on Galaxy Zoo, I tried to keep the focus at least somewhat on the science of what she did: the analysis of spectra. But writing about her on the She is an Astronomer forum was a good place to write about the challenges she faced - only two which were being forbidden to receive a degree and being effectively forced into retracting her greatest discovery, which was no less than that the Universe is made mostly of hydrogen, not iron like the Earth. Anyway, thanks to Crispian Jago for retweeting it - it has now had over 70 views, but not a single comment. I'm not really sure that's a good thing . . .

No comments: